There are a variety of fees that may be required when applying for or renewing vehicle registration.
Registration fees are based on:
- Your vehicle type (auto, motorcycle, etc.).
- Your vehicle’s purchase price or declared value.
- Dates (for example, the date you purchased your vehicle, or the date your vehicle entered California).
- The city and/or county you live in.
- The city and/or county your business is based in.
- The unladen or declared gross vehicle weight (GVW) and the number of axles your vehicle may have.
- Any special license plates your vehicle may have.
- Whether you have any unpaid parking violations or toll evasion bail.
You will likely have to pay the following fees if your vehicle is registered for on-highway use:
- The registration fee
- California Highway Patrol (CHP) fee
- Vehicle license fee
- Transportation improvement fee
- County/district fee
DMV Fee Calculators
To help people plan for registration-related fees, DMV provides